Sunday, January 08, 2012

My Ride today

Today, Again, I proved the others wrong about what a good ride should consist of.

So, Let's back up a little, I am, even on a motorcycle, mostly a loner.  I like it that way, because then I am the sole person in charge of what I am doing, just like in all the other parts of my life.

But, when I bought the bike, it seems I became a member of a club, the motorcycle riders club.  No, I did not join one of the many motorcycle clubs that are out there, just generally "the club".  And with that membership, comes all kinds of other members and their advice about places to go, things to do, places to stop, etc.  All of that information is gleefully shared amongst them, as if the telling makes it better.

 So, today (Now Saturday, as I edit this), I decided that I was going to ride to Austin, TX for lunch.   That's right, another of my famous "lunch in _____"  runs.  I have been wanting to go to Austin for a while, but going while it was hot, during the summer, it seemed like torture because they were suffering worse than we were with the record heat that was the summer of 2011.

 Anyway,  I got up this morning, and decided that instead of washing clothes, cleaning my bathroom, or grocery shopping, I needed to get out, and have a little fun.  After the past 10 days, I needed distraction, and trust me when I tell you, She knows just what to do to distract me.

 I told She that if we went, we would find and get a photograph of She in front of Jesse James' Austin Speed Shop.  Plus we would get some food.

 Back to the opening line, I keep being told by people that ride that when I go riding that I should find these off the beaten path, winding roads, that have decent scenery.   I have never really understood that, but,I just smile and nod.  Honestly, just riding, doesn't matter the road, I find myself just enjoying it.

 Plus there is the fact that the motorcycle that I ride, you know, She, a 2003 BMW K1200 RS, is made as a sport touring motorcycle, and she is made to just devour the road, and let you have fun all day long.

 I did not pack anything, but had the vague thought that perhaps I would stay in Austin on Saturday night, catch some live music, in addition to my lunch run. I just sent a Tweet that I was headed out, and off we went.

 Getting to Austin from my house in Houston involves 45 minutes to an hour of just getting clear of Houston.  It is ridiculous.  But I think I saw a different way to try for the next ride, but, that is another blog entry for another day!)  So, once I cleared Spring Cypress on 290, going west, the traffic thinned out, and we were able to set the cruise control and just go.

 I had filled up in Houston, so, stopping was entirely optional for the entire trip.   And I did not really stop.  I set the cruise control to 80, and for the most part, except for small towns where the speed limit dropped, or for stop lights, I just went.  At eighty miles an hour, She is chewing up the road with a happy hum.

 By the time that I got to Giddings, I was hungry, and my left knee was letting me know that it needed to be stretched out.   Not really knowing how far it was to Austin, since I had left without a plan, without consulting a map or anything, I went ahead and stopped at the all-to-familiar place, Whataburger.  I had a cheeseburger, and some fries, and a little iced tea.  It was a good stop.  The place was very clean, and there were a lot of people coming and going, and being in a small town, there were a lot of greetings and laughter, and conversation.  A people-watchers' paradise!   And we all know how I love to people-watch.

 While sitting there, I looked up on my phone to see how far Austin actually was from there, and realized that it was barely 60 miles away.  So, I climbed on She, and off we went, and at 80, Austin was less than an hour away.

 While I wasn't too hungry, my traditional place to "Lunch in___" when I ride is Hooters.  I know, it is a silly place to go and have lunch, but, I like it.  So, when I got close to town, and had to fill up again, I looked up where the locations were, and there is one in what I consider downtown, near the river, and so, off I went.

 The parking lot of the place was kind of full, as I had forgotten that this is NFL playoff weekend.  But, I got in, and found a seat at the bar, which is where I prefer to sit, especially if the people watching vectors are unobstructed.   As I sat down the manager of the place was going around changing all the televisions to NBC.   The local Houston team, the Texans, were in their first playoff game in franchise history.

 I ordered a drink, and a glass of water, and told the bartender that I was still a little buzzed from the road, and would order food later on.  I churned through two glassed of water, and then looking around realized that the place was very packed.  I had gotten to the place just in time, ten more minutes, and I wouldn't have been able to get a seat.  W00T!

 I sat there, drinking my water, and catching up on tweets, which was slow, because I follow so many people, and they tend to be prolific tweeters, that the Twitter application is slow to respond/update as I scroll.  But, I got through them, told some of my friends that I was there, and what I was doing, and just chilled out.

 People watching was kind of a bust, because a group of older guys all bunched up around me, all insisting that they hug, and speak to every single waitress that came around, and it was just a distraction.   Finally after the end of the first quarter of the game, two younger guys were able to shoulder into place to my right at the bar, and they were fans of the game, so I was able to listen/watch them while they discussed the game.

 I like football, little doses at a time, but do not keep up with it.

 As the half was ending, I looked up where Jesse James' shop was, and realized that by some fluke of nature, the aligning of the planets, or, the good side of the Karma wheel, I was 2 miles from his shop.

 The Texans were winning, and I was done with my Lots-O-Tots, and drink, and so, I left.

 The shop sits back from the road, and because of some construction on that road that begins right where the shop is, I missed it the first time I drove by....

 Then:




Success....

 The parking lot was mostly empty, but the place was open, and as I promised She, I got her picture in  front of his shop.  Then I got a picture of the West Coast Chopper hauler:
As you can see, She is very happy.

So, as it was getting dark there, I needed to decide what to do next, namely, was I going to stay there over night.  I decided that I had enough adventure, and decided to go back to the house.

 Clearing Austin, and getting back to 290 east, I again set the cruise, and began to chew up mile after mile.

 This time the trip was different because I had to pay more attention to the road, and WOW what a road.  I did not realize that the road curved back and forth, and up and down quite as much as it did.  I think, during the day, your eyes can see it without much thought.  At night, you have to really watch.

 Plus, there was there great full moon that was so bright that it lit the road up all on its own.   I kept thinking I was going to stop and get a picture, but on had the cell phone camera, and there was not any real places to pull over, so, I didn't, and continued the easterly/southerly march towards Houston.

 I got home around 8:40, and other than a knee that was a little twingy, I was good.

 So, back to the "you have to ride all these twisty back roads to have a good ride.  Nope, the ride is the ride.  You find yourself while out there, no matter where "out there" is.  Once again, She and I melded into One, and the day passed with no thoughts except the right then.

I Like that.


Namaste, my friends.

See You On The Other Side.