Friday, March 22, 2013

Warts and All - Or, I am Loathe to post this...

So, for a while now, I have been indulging in what I like to call Adult Beverage Night, or simply stated ABN.  I may have even posted about various ones here in this blog, but, am too lazy to go back and look for examples of it.

So, the short explanation of ABN is that there are nights during the week, where I go out and have an adult beverage (or five), and relax a little.

I remember when I was a teenager, that my Dad said that if you drank alone, you were an alcoholic.  If you went out drinking more than 3 nights a week, you were an alcoholic.

So, the way that I apply these "rules" is that Tuesday's are what I call a Designated ABN.  Simply because I always go on Tuesday.  Then, depending on my mood, I do the other two nights on Thurs and Friday, or Friday and Saturday.

 Usually when I go, I go to an adult entertainment facility because the drinks are stout, and the scenery is mostly good.

 I have "befriended" many of the waitresses, and a few of the entertainers along the way, and like going there because I am mostly left alone, which is what I want.  To Be Left Alone.   That is not to say that I don't buy a drink for some of the entertainers, but, to me this is harmless fun, and the girls wander away after the drink is finished.  And, I am left alone again, which is (see above), what I wanted anyway.

 This story goes back 4 Friday's ago.  I went into the bar on Friday, probably around 8:45, and starting a tab with my favorite waitress, (since my favorite bartender, Amber, has left the place), Becky, and settled back.

 On Friday's one of the entertainers, a favorite of mine, though I cannot explain why, Freya, comes into the club, and after she "hangs out" with her regulars, she will come over, and we will sit and chat.  Apparently, this night, there were a lot of her regulars in the club and so she never came by.  There is a text message in my phone, at 11:37 apologizing for not being able to stick around, and saying goodbye.

 My next clear memory was me sitting in a place, in the club, where I NEVER sit.  And Freya was speaking to me.   According to Her, it was close to 1:00 AM, and she was surprised to see me because she knew that I normally left around midnight.

 The kicker, she said I was HAMMERED.  Not a little happy, hammered like I'd had 8-10 drinks (she has seen me like that previously when I had too many shots).  She said she sat with me until after 2:00 AM, to be sure I didn't climb on my motorcycle.

 I have no memories of most of that night.


 Skip ahead to the next week, this is the weekend that I put the motorcycle into the shop, and got a ride to the club for ABN, and was going to take a cab home, so, I knew that I could have a "few" more than normal.  At this point, the previous week had been forgotten, and I met up with my "friday night friends", Tony, another customer that I met some months ago there, and we have been sitting together since.  Becky, the waitress.  Since Amber left the club about 2.5 months ago, and they replaced her with "no personality" Courtney (She is pretty, but, she just kind of stands there, and there is no back and forth conversation, even Tony agrees with me on this assessment).  Also there was various entertainers, Tori, Hannah, Harmony, and later Freya.

 So, I think around 11:45 Freya made her way to the table, and we were chatting about stupid stuff, as always, and I remember that I bought 3 shots, one for each, Becky, Freya and myself.  Tony opted out because by then he had committed to driving me home.   I remember the time, because I wanted to be sure that it wasn't too late to have another drink, because even though I was getting a ride, I didn't want to be "wasted".

 My next memory is that the lights in the club were on, and Tony and I were waiting near the entrance because it had been decided that Freya was in no condition to drive, and she kept insisting that she hadn't had that much to drink and could drive.  Let me tell you, she wasn't able to walk.  Tony and I were afraid that she was going to get in her car, because she kept saying that she hadn't had that much to drink.

 So, Tony gets me to my house, and I take Freya under the shoulder, and walk her to the door.  I leaned her up against the wall, and she slid to the ground while I was unlocking the door.  I picked her up, and carried her in, and took her to the bedroom.  I helped her into a big t-shirt from my closet, and poured her into the bed.  I went to the living room, and fell asleep on the little couch.

 I do not know what time all this happened, but there are calls on my phone from Freya, between 2:30 and 2:50, and she would have called me at the club, not after we were already in Tony's truck, or at my house.

 At 5:01, I woke up like the light had been turned on.  I was AWAKE-AWAKE.   Shuffling through the nights events, I realized that Freya was in my bedroom.

 I checked, and sure enough, it wasn't a dream, there was a girl asleep in the room.

 At this point, I took a shower, and putting on shorts, and a t-shirt, climbed into bed, and went to sleep.

 Why did I get in the bed, I am not sure.  I thought about it later, and thought perhaps it was just me on automatic pilot.  But I do remember thinking, while I was on the shower, that she might be freaked out if she woke up in the bed, at a strange place.

 Anyway, about 8:00 I woke up, and realized that other than perhaps catnaps, I was done sleeping.  Freya, on the other hand was asleep in the same place she had collapsed into at "two-ish".

 I kept thinking about the previous night, and the timeline, and the fact that I could not remember a thing that happened between 11:30 and "two-ish"  That's a long time to "go black".  Then I kept thinking about what I was going to Freya when she woke up, about why she was at my house, and would she be freaked out, or whatever.

 Finally, around 9:00, she stirred.  And suddenly she jerked away, and looked up.  She was facing away from me, so, she didn't initially see me.  So, I touched her shoulder and told her that she was okay, and that she was at my house.  Her first comment, "What Happened".   I gave her the shortened version.

 For the next couple of hours, we compared notes, and realized that we both lost about 3.5 to 4 hours.

 Around noon, I took her to her car, back at the club, and we parted ways.

 I didn't think too much about all of this, after I got her back to the car, until I went to see Amber for Tuesday night ABN, at her new place, and was telling the story.   Nearly the first thing that Amber said after I retold the story, was, "sounds like someone did something to your drink".  I hadn't thought about that, because, well, I cannot imagine anyone wanting to mess with my drink, or me.  I am a nobody, old guy, with no money.

 But, I sent Freya a text message, and told her what Amber had said, and she replied back that the thought had crossed her mind.  Then, I remembered the previous weekend when I had lost time, and Freya said I was hammered.  then wondered if perhaps the previous weekend was actually the second time that someone did something to my drink.

 I still do not know what exactly happened.  I know that The following Friday, I saw Freya again, and it was very, very awkward.   And because I was not able to relax, it was un-fun for me.

 I was told this week, by a different entertainer at the club, that I needed to stop talking about it, because maybe I just had too much vodka, and blacked out.  Since I didn't have any proof, I should stop talking about it.

So, Warts and All.  There you go.

Namaste, My Friends.

See You On The Other Side.