I remember as a teenager that I went to a week long conference in downtown Houston, where I learned a bunch about Biblical Truth and the like. On Wednesday of the conference, I was outside speaking to my Dad, who was also there, and we saw some protestors. It was the very first time that I ever saw a protest about/by gay people.
One of them was carrying a sign, that simply said, in really LARGE letters. Jesus Loves Me Too!
I watched that fellow for a few minutes, and in my 17 year old mind, puzzled through the implications of that statement, and finally, after admitting to myself that perhaps I did not have enough Biblical Knowledge to answer that one, and so, I asked Dad, if that was a true statement, and he simply said yes. (Dad, once again, being the taciturn, man of few words.....) (another time!).
Well, I was not expecting this answer, and to say that it blew my mind, well, is an understatement. So, I asked in what was a probably in too loud a tone, and with no regard for whom might be listening to me, including said protesters...... "How can that be?" "He's GAY!?!"
My Dad then said something that has stayed with me every since. In fact, I can still see the scene in my minds eye. He said Lee, Jesus died to save us from all the sins that we ever commit, and he did that to save us, the people. Then finished it with; he loved the Sinner, and HATES the Sin.
Since then, when I hear people speaking judgmentally about some person or group, I try and remember that Jesus died for all of them. I also remember that there is a verse about not judging. I figure The Big Man Upstairs is the only one with enough skin in the game to judge.
I believe that our job as Christians is to tell people that Jesus did die for us, and, that if they accept him as savior, he will forgive them for ANY and ALL sins. But to get in the sinners face, and get all "holier than thou", No.Freaking.Way!
Though I have asked Jesus to forgive me of my sins, I know that I still sin, every single moment, of every single day. And, as we move into the future (You know, "Time Keeps on Slipping, Into the FUTURE....) I realize that I will never get to a point that I won't sin. He doesn't take the ability for me to sin away. He just forgives me for it.
So, think about that next time you are around someone that is "sinning", and you want to judge and/or condemn them. Your no better than me, because you believe that your sin is "not as bad as
Jesus says that all Sin is the same in God's eyes. Sorry religious Organizations there are not any real live, true, "unforgivable sins".