So, tonight, I am eating dinner with my Number One Daughter, Katie. Now saying that in the past has gotten me in trouble, because in reality, Katie is not my blood. Doesn't change that she is my daughter. She lived at my house for many years, and has acknowledged me as Dad for a very long time. I also acknowledge her as my Daughter.
In fact, I still remember the very first time that she did it, that, I realized that she wasn't just calling me Dad because all the other kids did. Father's Day, 2007. I remember when it happened that I was a little worried that she had done it, because her Father was still alive and well (and is still alive and well as of this writing), and I thought it might be a little disrespectful.
Her Mom and I spoke about it, and she said that Katie had spoken to her before giving me the card, and the small token, and they decided that it was okay.
However, in 2011, me calling her my Number One Daughter was the straw that broke the camels back with my own (blood) daughter. I call her Squirmy here on the blog to protect her identity. She was mad about something else that had occurred, and like her Mom, she decided to trot out the straw man that is Katie, and the fact I call her Number One.
Lot's of bad things were said, and as a result, Squirmy and I are not speaking. Again.
And, I am sad about that. I have apologized. I even paid to get her car fixed. I drove across town, and took her out for her birthday in October. But, still not talking. I cannot do anymore.
Back to Dinner. I am going to County Line BBQ, on Cutten road, here in Houston, because I am hungry for some good brisket and sausage. My birthday was last week, as you know from reading here, but, work, and work issues prevailed, and I was not able to meet before today.
I am also going to meet the next candidate for husband. Still a little hesitant to do that, but, I am getting better at observing, and giving opinions. I know that she wants to settle down, get married, and have kids. She values my input into that decision process.
Onward.
Namaste. See You On The Other Side.