Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Futility and Insanity

So, the classic definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.     The definition of futility - pointlessness: lack of usefulness or effectiveness.

 Sounds nearly the same - But there is a clear distinction in my mind.   futility is doing something that has no point in even doing it, much less what the result might be.

 But, what happens when you combine Futility, the lack of effectiveness, with insanity, expecting a different result?




 I think this is what is known, metaphorically, as a train wreck.  Here you are, attempting some pointless endeavour, over and over, always getting the same result, and then starting the process over again.


 Work has done this to me, and I am stepping off the train.   I could put up with the lack of a raise.  I could put up with politics (described today by our President and CEO as being in Afghanistan, where you are surrounded on all sides by warlords, all with their own agendas, and sniping from the hills, two different extremist groups who hate everyone!).  I even put up with the fact the my direct leadership is like a sailboat with no keel.


 But, the time has come to step back and examine how I somehow allowed myself to become trapped by this crazy train, and develop and exit strategy.   My Director came by this week to talk to all of us on the messaging team, and tell us that in the next six months that email will be moving to the cloud, and we need to come up with a plan where that happens smoothly for the user base, while keeping completely quiet about the impact on our positions here at the school


 I have spoken in the past, mostly half serious, that I was going to start a new gig, knowing that I had a decent job, and that time was not a critical function, but, that has all changed.  I want out before things changed.


 Remember this day, 21 DEC 2011.  The CEO said that "some jobs will transition, and some people will transition into new opportunities, and some will leave.  "That's the nature of change."


 Namase.
See You On The Other Side.