I was thinking about what this day is called, at least to Christians, while on the HOV lane this morning, after saying prayers.
Good Friday.
Do we call it that because, for Christians, it was the day foretold from days of old that there would be someone that would offer us a path to salvation, and with that, the ability to be in heaven with God after we die?
Because for that propitiation, This day was anything but Good.
It was the culmination of the worst week of his life. Welcomed into Jerusalem, by adoring crowds. Betrayed by a close friend. Mocked. Bruised. Beaten so bad that he was unrecognizable as a man. Hung on a cross, the worst way the Roman's had to put a person to death, and finally, legs broken, and pierced through the side by a Roman's spear.
Had to stop after typing that. Brutal.
But, with that act (his dying), we all get to chose our path, and whether we accept the gift that he has given us. As I am fond of quoting, Neo says to the Architect in the second Matrix movie, "It's all about choice".
For the record, I have accepted Jesus as my savior. My Faith is strong. My religion, on the other hand is not strong. I struggle with it.
And yes, I know, I am going to watch Prinzzess dance next week. God will (or as a basic tenet of my faith, he has already forgiven me, for he knows what I am going to do before I do it) forgive me. Will I have to answer to him on Judgement day? yes. All of this will splash onto the big screen for all to see.
But, I am forgiven.
I hope that you are as well.
I Love You All.
See You On The Other Side.
-lee