Friday, August 12, 2011

"Need a Vacation"

I have heard all my life, various people exclaim "I Need a Vacation", and never really understood that. Mostly because I have never really taken a vacation before. Well, that is not true, I guess, I never really thought of the family vacations as "vacations". They were adventures. Putting nice memories into the memory banks of the kids, and things like that. And they _WERE_ filled with lots of activities and experiences, but, what they did not have was a time to just sit and relax.

Then last year, I, on an impulse more than anything else, booked not refundable hotel tickets to go to Destin, Florida. For this trip, my whole plan was this:

  1. Ride Motorcycle from Houston to someplace in Mississippi, sleep there.
  2. Ride from Mississippi to Destin.
  3. Do nothing except chill out for the week.
  4. Ride home from Destin 7 days later.

So, that's what I did. I stayed in a town named Biloxi, MS that first night. Do not know anything about the town except that I had a tough time finding a room, and then when I found one, got overcharged for it. Turns out that room was nasty. But I survived. I also got gas there. I also scratched the tinted face shield for my helmet because I dropped it while changing them prior to leaving.

Saturday afternoon, I arrived in Destin. My first thing to do when I arrived, find the Public Beach entrance, and see if the beach was like I had been told....it was, then to the hotel, check in, take a shower, then a nap.

Saturday evening, I found the local Hooters, and had dinner. While riding around and seeing what's what, I saw a sign for a dance club, and decided to go there. Turns out it was a 18+ club, so, there were 17 year olds, to people my age. (Yes, I was the "Old Guy At the Club", as Chris Rock used to call it!). But the music was great, and I had a great time.

The rest of the week, I sat by the pool, sat on the beach, sat in Hooters......I did nothing.

I finally realized, on Monday, that this is what people mean when they exclaim, "I Need A Vacation".

So, fast forward a to a year plus later, and I am feeling this "I need...." thing.

But, I am not sure how to "schedule" it. But, isn't that the point of vacation. Down Time. No Plans. Like, I know that there are several places in Costa Rica that has great Zip Line Tours, and I NEED to do that! (you know, as opposed to just "wanting" it).

But then when I look into it, there is the Make plans/schedule the various ziplining/where do you eat/blah. About that time, I think, shoot that's more like work than time off. Got to be here at a certain time, got to be there......I guess if I was rich, and could just take off, it would be different, but I am not.

I also want to go to Fiesta Texas and ride Roller Coaster's and also to Six Flags in Dallas. I thought about taking a week off, and leaving for San Antonio on Sunday, then Fiesta on Monday, and perhaps Tuesday. Ride to Dallas on Wednesday, and Six Flags on Thursday.....

All the rest of the time, just goof off.

Let me see where things are in a month or so.