Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Nick Seaman

Nick Seaman, Until this weekend was simply my 22 year old Nephew, going to a State college here in Texas, and Son, of my Sister Tina. His Dad Was Chris Seaman, and he passed in my Sister's arms in the living room of their home, 16 years ago.

This past weekend, I got to witness something that I have never seen before. I saw my Nephew become a commissioned officer in the US Army.

Since becoming an adult, I have never really been close to my family, and that is why I was taken by surprise last week when I realized that not only was Nick graduating from College,but he was being commissioned into the Army.

Understandably, my Sister is very proud of Nick, and what he accomplished.

Here is a good picture of Nick and his Brother Jeff.


The Cool thing about being there at the ceremony was that I was reminded about something that I had forgotten about from my youth Primarily, the camaraderie, and sense of duty that these folks in the service have.

I was reminded about the speech that Gen Douglas MacArthur made to the cadets at West Point in 1962, Duty, Honor, Country. (If you really want to get stoked, go read it, or better yet, listen while reading. Read/Listen to it here. It will blow your mind.) These fellows have a long line behind them that they all tangibly know. Not just "head knowledge". but true "Heart Knowledge".

I am proud that my Nephew chose this. I am proud that he continues that selfless dedication to an ideal. The Ideal that the United States is worth defending, and sacrificing for. I am forever in his, and everyone that does what he does, DEBT. It is for ME, not just the "ME" that is the country and all her people, but also, most importantly, for ME personally.

Thanks Nick, and all the other graduates of your class, and everyone like you.

You Rock.