Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Number One - The Baby, and the Boy

So, Monday night, I went to dinner with Number One, which as I have explained in the past is my oldest Step-Daughter.  But, of course, she ISN'T my "step-daughter".  She is, and will remain as long as I am still breathing, my daughter. 

She picked me up from my house, and told me we were going to a "hole-in-the-wall" place that has good food, and a large selection of different kinds of Beer on tap.  The Beer thing, is not my thing, but food?  OMG, as I always say, you don't get this big by not liking food.

My assumption when we made arrangements to meet was that the boy, actually, that's incorrect, the Man that is the father of her child, who is not very mature, was going to accompany us, because, well, they are a couple.

However when she arrived at my house, it as just her.  So, off we went.  Turns out the place that we went was probably 10 miles from home.  We needed to stop and get gas for her car, and while there, I asked all those questions that I have been wondering about since I heard that she was moving in with him, and then when she told me around Christmas time that she was pregnant.

I knew that I was asking "none of your business" questions, but, I also knew, that they should be asked with my "Dad Hat" firmly in place over my brow.  So, I asked her the questions about why "E",  Was she going to marry him, and finally after receiving the answer that she jury was still out on whether she would marry him, I asked the "elephant in the room" question.  Why get pregnant by this guy if she didn't think he was a good guy.

The answer I got back was interesting.  She got pregnant while on birth control, Depo-Provera even, which is supposed to have like a 99% success rate.  I told her that, in my eyes, the problem that she had, if this guy wasn't "marriage" or "long term relationship with me" material, that they would be forever bonded because of the child.  She understands this, and stated that even if things went south with him, that she could tolerate him being the Dad.

So, with all my "hard" questions asked early on in the dinner date, we were able to talk about other, more fun things.  Turns out, she reads this blog. Which I was surprised about because I didn't think that I had ever given the name of the blog to her.  Then I realized that Twitter probably did that, because she follows me.

Then.....

It suddenly hit me, she has been privy to all those "going to see Prinzzess" tweets, and so probably got the blog address from there......  Then I suddenly worried that she might be kind of judgmental about me, her Dad, traveling to see Prinzzess dance.

But, almost as if she read my mind she laughed, and said that she had been following my adventures of going to see Prinzzess, and enjoying the various tweets, and blog posts.  I was/am kind of embarrassed that someone close to me had read some of the stuff that I blogged about, particularly, the stuff from Albuquerque, and the NC-17 content that was contained there.  But, Number One is a grown-ass woman, and if she had any disapproval, she hid it, and in fact laughed about it.

So, we arrived at the place, which appeared to be and old 1970's era gas station, ironically named "The Petrol Station".  Going in, it was, in my not so humble opinion, a "hippy run" beer joint that served food.   But, it was clean, and there was a crowd, so, had to be good right?  Right!

 I looked at the menu, and got some kind of burger, Number One got the Sheppard Pie.  We also got some fresh brewed Raspberry Ice Tea, which, was very good.

We decided to eat outside, and sat and talked about lots of stuff, but, probably 60% of the conversation was about me rambling on about my adventures in going to see Prinzzess.  I forgot sometimes who I was talking to, and was probably too frank on some of the things that I said, which always caused me to pause, and decide if I was going to continue with the storyline that I was in at that point.  A few times, I decided to not elaborate, and a few times, I carried on.

I finally asked her why she wasn't "grossed out" by my stories, and she simply said that she was thought I was having a good time, and that I wasn't hurting anyone, and so, there was no reason to be grossed-out.  Gotta Love a person that can see things from your perspective.

So, in the end, we had a great meal.  I mean the burger I had was really, really good.  The company was great.  The conversation was good, and at times, salacious in nature, but, we plowed through it.

I did as her to not volunteer any of that stuff to her Mom.  I didn't ask her, and would not ask her to lie. I asked, that, if she is asked something directly, then answer those questions, but, that not everything always has to be in the open.  She was okay with that.  I mean, I am not "ashamed" of going, or having done any of the things that I did while there, but at the same time, I don't know that I want to have any conversations about it with my ex-wife.

The end of the night, arriving back in my driveway, I asked her about the blood pressure thing, and why the blood center would not take my blood when I tried to donate to help out the church member.

She was not happy about the questions that I asked, and I could see it in her face.  I could see that she wanted to advise me of some things, but, she abided by my request to just answer the question I asked, and not interject any of her questions.

The baby is Due 22 AUG 2012.  A Wednesday.  That is going to be a good day.

Life is Good.  Live TODAY like this is the last one for you.  That's what I am doing.


Peace to You All.

Namaste, My Friends.

See You On The Other Side.