Friday, July 27, 2012

I jumped from an airplane, and I survived!

Oh My God!

 I know, not the way to start something that you are writing (Sorry Mrs Williams.  I tried, I really did try, to come up with a proper opening paragraph.), but, I have to tell you, there is NO OTHER WAY TO START IT!

 So, yesterday I rode down to the Airport in Rosharon, TX, where Skydive Spaceland is located.  I had already pre-paid for the jump, and the video package, so all I needed to do was sign the contract that basically was 6 pages front and back where I indemnified basically the entire planet in case something went wrong.

 Then there was a two page contract where I did the same thing for the maker/manufacturer of the parachute system.

 They really had their ducks in a row, in case there was a bounce-splat thing.

 Then, after watching a 20 minute training video, I went downstairs, and met my tandem-jump instructor, Keiran.  A slightly built dude, with a very strong Irish accent.  But, he was all business, where it came to  getting me into the jumpsut, and into the harness.  All the while he was going over what was going to happen, in what order, and then repeating it a couple of times to be sure that I understood the process.

 Soon, it was time to get in the plane, and head for the sky!

 I have to admit, I was very nervous.  My hands had a slight shake, and I was all cotton-mouthed.  BUT I WAS SO EXCITED, at the same time.





Soon we arrived at 14,000 feet, and it was time to jump.....There I am in the picture above.....2 seconds later, and we are out the door....

 We are out the door!  I am "supposed" to have my head back, but, I wanted to "see" what 14,000 feet in the air looked like, so, there I am, breaking the rules, and looking down.  But, we are committed now.  Gravity has taken over from force of will, and we have leapt from the plane! 

 The noise is tremendous!  You cannot hear anything as you are plummeting towards the ground.  But, that is okay, because you don't need to hear anything to be flying (or falling, as the case may be)!





So, according to the stats that my jump master had, our fastest speed was 145, and our average speed was 123 miles per hour.





Here I am coming in for the landing.  Look at me, I am a real skydiver!





Posing for the victory picture.  This was about 5.5 minutes after stepping off into the void, and let me tell you it was a great adventure.

 If you would like to see the video that I had taken, I posted it to my YouTube page.  Click on This Link to view it.  (It should open in a new Window, or Link, depending on your browser.)

I have already paid to jump again, and will probably do it during lunch, in a couple of weeks.  Somehow, I doubt that I will have any pictures made, but, I promise, this last picture will be a great representation of what I look like.

Shalom

Namaste, My Friends.

See You On The Other Side!

Deo Non Fortuna