Saturday, October 06, 2012

Friday in Tampa.

So, Friday!

I got up early this morning to go to the place in in Mulberry, FL to do my skydive.

 Turns out the place is about 45 miles away, and I wanted to do it early, so I could go to Busch Gardens later with M, S, P, and all the rest of the folks.

 We had some terrible rain the evening, of which I didn't think anything about because I was inside.  But, arriving at the airfield, I realized there was a problem....the airstrip was grass, and flooded.

 I was told that they were shut down, and that they neglected to call me because they neglected to write my name into the book.  But they thought they would fly on Saturday, and so I promised to call the next morning, and check.

 So, I got back on the road, and find out that P, and the rest had decided that instead of sleeping in, they went ahead and left for the park.  I told them I would meet them there, and reprogrammed the GPS, and off we went.  Arriving at the park, I called Miz, to see where they were, as I was getting on the shuttle, and found out they had just arrived.

 Turns out, I followed them into the parking lot, and was parked right beside them!  Those Fates!  Always full of tricks.

 Anyway, we get to the gate, and what do you know, we are about 10 minutes early for the gates, just enough to redeem my ticket, and get the pass, and then get in line as the lines opened.

 Soon the day was filled with riding roller coasters, and good food, and good conversation.

 I completely blew up my twitter timeline, with pictures, and funny stories.  Of course there was a lot of back and for with folks that were Prinzzess fans, asking all kinds of questions, and making funny comments.  There was only one bad moment, and it was early, and IT WAS MY FAULT.  I posted a picture that I wasn't supposed to, and the person got really mad.  To the point that I was going to get int he car and leave, because I didn't want to be around that.  Event though it was my fault, I did not to be continuously persecuted for one stupid act.

 Finally a couple of the other that were there talked me into staying, and so I did.  But, I maintained a lot of distance as a buffer.

 Soon after, we road the amazon river ride in the round boats, and I got soaked to the skin.  Then we decided to ride again, and I figured I couldn't get any wetter.  I was wrong.  I got wetter.  I think Prinzzess got a video, so checkout out her YouTube page to see me soaked (!) to the skin.  I stayed wet the entire day, and today, a day later, the pants are still wet!  Crazy, right?

 I saw the most amazing thing in the chimpanzee habitat.  There was the older Chimpanzee, you could tell he was older, because of his physical size, but, also, like humans, as chimps age, their fur turns grey, and this fellow has lots of grey around his head.

 I know that we are not supposed to ascribed human feelings to animals, but, I watched this guy walking slowly along a ridge line in the enclosure; His head was down, just looking at right in front of his feet, and he walked slowly, shuffling, as if he was old and lonely, and unhappy.  You could sense the whole being in a place where the scenery doesn't change, you don't get to meet new friends, and you find yourself wondering why are we still here.  (And that Last sentence, is the perfect illustration why you do not ascribe human emotions to animals, because that was all about me, and not about the Chimpanzee at all)  (But, it doesn't change the sadness that I saw/felt for him)  I snapped several pictures, and while okay for me, because I saw the whole things, the do not translate well to here, so, I will just try to draw the picture with words and hope they are enough.

 I began to cry standing in front of the plexiglass, and found myself walking away, and glad that the rest of the group were preoccupied with their stuff, and didn't notice my tears, and my stupidity.  Even as I write this, I find myself crying a bit on the inside.

 It profoundly affected me.

 And, then I walk into the Gorilla habitat.  These gentle giants were all out, and sitting in a group.  I did not see the silver back, or the dominate male of the group, but, seeing gorilla's always puts a catch in my throat....  They are amazingly powerful animals, that have the most expressive faces.  They are so very strong and yet handle the young ones with the lightest of touches.

 Fortunately for me, there was a show that Prinzzess wanted to see, inside a building that was dark, so, I was able to get my puffy eyes cleaned up, and not look like I had been crying.

 So, after that, we rode the train, around the outdoor enclosures, and saw all the BIG animals, Many, many Giraffes, a family group of White Rhino's, and various antelope.  It was a great ride.  I completely bombed my own twitter timeline, so, look it up if you haven't seen it, and take a look.

 Then, we got off, and went and got some food.  Soon after that, the park was getting ready to close, and we headed for the exit.  Along the way, we came to the entrance for the giant wooden roller coaster.  Prinzzess looked at me, and asked if I wanted to ride it, and I said yes knowing I would be the only one that would.  The rest of the group moved on, and I rode it 3 times. Back of the train, front seat, and in the middle.  It is an amazing roller coaster, and kind of made up for not going skydiving that morning.

Speaking of that, as I returned to my room, I received a call from the skydive place, and they were still flooded, but, they could fly me from another airfield about 20 minutes further, and as an added bonus, I get to jump 3000 feet higher!  More Freefall!  

I will write about Friday evening in a separate post.

Shalom.

Namaste, My Friends

See You On The Other Side.